Residential Roofing Tips For 2024
Whether you’ve owned your Coral Springs home for years or are a first-time homeowner, preserving your residential home investment is a top priority. One of the most important features of your home to protect and maintain is its roof.
Residential roofing material failures can be incredibly damaging and costly, too, especially if you’re not aware of any problems. Today, we’ll share beneficial residential roofing tips you can follow to stay ahead of major roofing failures.
Discover what you can do to protect the longevity of your South Florida roof all year long in 2024.
Preventative Roof Maintenance Starts with Awareness
You don’t have to be a residential roofing expert to recognize early signs of roofing issues. There are many steps you can take as a homeowner to improve the life of your roof materials. These are just a few preventative roof maintenance efforts you can make without climbing a ladder.
- Trim or hire a professional to trim low-hanging branches or vegetation nearing your roof.
- Be mindful of your ceilings and attic spaces, watching for signs of moisture intrusion.
- Monitor your attic spaces and upper levels, checking for sudden drafts.
- Keep an eye on your energy bills to spot sudden increases.
- Be on the lookout for additional signs of fungal growth, wet wood, or stains in your attic.
- Schedule residential roofing inspections seasonally and after any major storms.
Asphalt Shingles May Need Repair or Replacement
If your South Florida home has asphalt shingles, key signs indicate wear, tear, damage, or soon-to-be-needed repairs. From the ground, look to see if you spot the following:
- Damaged shingles.
- Misplaced or missing shingles.
- Moss or algae growth.
- Shingle granule loss.
- Visible roof leaks into your home.
Metal Roofs Can Deteriorate As Well
Should your home have a metal roof, it’s important to be mindful of any damage or repair issues. These signs differ from other roofing material types. However, a metal roof can deteriorate over time and experience damage, too.
- Cracks from prolonged sun exposure or weather.
- Dents from airborne or falling debris.
- Punctures from severe wind or weather with debris.
- Rust from prolonged exposure to moisture, humidity, saltwater, and rainwater.
Signs Your Slate Roof Needs Replacement
Look from the ground, using binoculars, to visibly inspect your slate or tile roof. If you spot missing shingles or cracked shingles, you’ll want to have them replaced immediately. Also, be aware of these other signs that could indicate deteriorating residential roofing materials:
- Tile discoloration.
- Moss or algae growth.
Other Roofing Damage to Look for in 2024
After any severe weather, including prolonged heat waves and torrential rains, check the following roof components for signs of damage. Contact a roofing professional to schedule a thorough inspection if you suspect damage or have concerns. Remember, as a homeowner, trust the experts to mount your roof and avoid doing so yourself. You’ll be able to spot any of these issues without getting on the roof.
- The roof is sagging at its peak.
- Visibly damaged chimney or vent pipes.
- Any roof penetrations.
- Signs of damaged roof flashing.
- Gutters or flashing materials are pulling away from your structure.
Another key component of your roof to consider is its underlayment. The underlayment is responsible for preventing roof leaks as a water-resistant barrier is installed directly to the roofing deck. Even with all the various shingles and materials, if your residential roofing underlayment is subpar or has experienced damage, your roof’s integrity will be compromised. Here’s how to tell if your roof’s underlayment requires replacement:
- You have visible water damage in your home.
- Your roof is missing tile(s) or has signs of visible shingle damage.
- Your fascia, soffit, or gutters have prolonged damage or exposure.
- It’s been decades since your underlayment has been replaced.
Trust Tag & Stick, LLC for High-Quality Roofing in 2024
When you hire a roofing professional to handle repairs and replacement, you might assume they’ll use the best products and present you with the best options. However, as a homeowner, you can be proactive about making those best-fit residential roofing materials decisions. Choosing the most innovative and protective underlayment solution with Tag & Stick means saving time, cutting costs, and preserving your home’s roof more efficiently.
There are 3 primary types of underlayment :
- Rubberized asphalt underlayment: waterproof seal and protective membrane.
- Synthetic underlayment: fiberglass materials with improved resistance to tearing and boosted stability.
- Asphalt-saturated felt: a water-resistant layer of flexible material.
Knowing you have underlayment and roofing material options will help you determine the best solution for your home and budget. There are several reasons to consider Tag & Stick underlayment.
Advantages of Tag & Stick Self-Adhered Underlayment
Whether your roof has visible damage or you’re renovating your home, trust the Tag & Stick self-adhered roof underlayment to meet important building requirements and is constructed to last. It’s widely becoming a popular solution for Florida homeowners because of its versatility and improved protection.
Other advantages include:
- Faster installation because of the two-ply application capability.
- A limited warranty of 25 years.
- Adhesive material eliminates the need for torches and tar.
- Complements existing flashings.
- Underlayment can be easily removed without causing structural damage.
- It is comprised of two layers, providing optimal water intrusion protection.
- Environmentally friendly materials, recyclable, and reduced waste.
- It is more energy-efficient than other underlayment materials.
- Superior moisture barrier, essential for Florida weather.
- Improved wind uplift resistance, critical during hurricane season.
As a South Florida homeowner, you have a choice in the roofing materials you select when protecting your biggest investment. Talk with your roofing professional about your roofing material options, asking specifically for the Tag & Stick self-adhered underlayment solutions.
Give us a call at 954-255-3107 or connect with our expert roofing team online to learn more about the incredible benefits of Tag & Stick underlayment.
Make 2024 the year you take the investment-protecting step of repairing or replacing your residential roof.